Organisations today are realising the importance of online marketing, with most people being more likely to end up on your website via a search engine than going directly to it. So, which is the best option?

When increasing website traffic, you have two basic options. These are search engine optimisation (SEO) or Google ads. It is important for your brand to have a strong presence on search engines to ensure that you are in front of your target audience. With research showing that websites on the first research results page receive almost 95% of web traffic, leaving only 5% for remaining search results pages, it is important to get your website seen as early as possible. This blog will explore which form of advertising will be most beneficial for your company.

Advantages of Google Ads

Google Ads is spread across a variety of platforms and on all devices, whether this be desktop, mobile and tablets. It places search results for your websites on a search engine results by paying for them (SERP).

A strength of Google ads is speed, working faster than SEO. An optimised Google ads campaign works much faster for a business to get the coveted first spot in the search, meaning you do not have to organically work up the ranks. Using paid search, you can see immediate results. The focus on multiple keywords at a time, the ability to turn the campaign on or off whenever you want to, and immediate visibility of ads on the top of the page makes it fast and efficient. This creates a better chance of driving more traffic and leads instantly.

To put simply, ads give instant visibility at instant cost, where SEO gives long term success depending on the quality of content.

Disadvantages of Google Ads

In general, people favour organic results against a spot that has been paid for. You also have to pay-per-click, no matter what. Even if someone has wrongly clicked on your ads, you can never make sure that you are paying for receiving a paying customer even if someone has wrongly clicked on your ads and are never going to make a purchase.

Advantages of SEO

The alternative is the use of SEO. This is the process of improving a website in ways that help it rank in search results when users search for specific words and phrases. These results are based on what google thinks will be the most important information to you, based on the keywords you entered. Typically, SEO gets more clicks than Google ads, the majority of searches result in a click on an organic result on the first page. Google has worked to create an algorithm that delivers quality results, that has paid off in regular people considering those results to be trustworthy.

SEO for this reason can help you improve your rankings in search engine results. Google will rate the site based on website speed, language used, pictures, links from other websites, keywords, citations and the amount of information. This means once you create a page that the search engine deems worthy of directing their users to, it can continue to attract traffic to your site for months, possibly years after you publish it. It also means that the traffic produced is relevant, as people who are visiting your website are directly looking for the type of content you provide.

Disadvantages of SEO

The problem with SEO is that it does require a more significant initial investment, whether this be in the form of time or finance. After the initial investment, there is no ongoing cost to continue attracting traffic to your content. You might need to update the page, add to or improve it if your competitors decide to target the same keyword. In order to ensure the quality of your content is also captivating, you may also have to invest in and employ outside assistance to manufacture every natural connection and other SEO showcasing exercises, in the event that you truly need to create generous outcomes.

Which is Best for You?

In summary, there is no easy answer to which is the best option for your company, Google ads or SEO. If quick, instant traffic on your website is the most important for you, then perhaps considering Google ads is your best option. Whereas larger, more established companies may look for longevity through a more organic method, where cost is low, but results may be slower. There is the possibility of combining the two, gaining instant results to increase traffic, before turning to an organic method to maintain steady interest.

If you are looking for help, we are a leading digital marketing agency based in Hersham, drop us an e-mail on info@ellis.digital, or give us a call at 01932 301300.

Find our more about our Google services here – SEO or Google Ads